Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wig-less

Have you ever seen anyone 'tip' their wig like a PGA Golfer strolling up the fairway to the 18th green at Augusta?

Oscar did.

Dr. Oscar Thompson was one of my professors when I landed for my first semester in Graduate School in Fort Worth, Texas in January of a long time ago. I had been told by more than a few in the Registration lines that to get any class taught by Oscar was a must. Being impressionable, I was impressed by what I heard and registered for the only class that had a few openings remaining. I had never met Dr. Thompson much less heard a lecture, but I looked forward to Monday afternoon at 12:00 for Day One with Oscar.

I had not been warned that my prop was suffering from cancer, so I was taken back when he walked into the packed classroom leaning on his cane and obviously wearing a toupee'. A hush overcame the room. He faced the class, 'tipped' his fake hair in a welcoming gesture, exposing his baldness for a brief second, and introduced himself. The class applauded...and a word had not yet dropped from his mouth! At that moment, I knew that I was in the presence of greatness.

"I am Oscar Thompson. I have cancer. I look like I am going to die any day, but I am not. God says that to honor parents is the guarantee of a long life...and I have done just that...so I am intending on teaching this class through the end of the semester and perhaps a few others."

Then he said;, "The most important word in the English language is 'RELATIONSHIP'." That most important word never crossed my mind to that point in my then young life.

Words like, 'success', 'respect', 'love', 'popularity', 'money', 'position', 'religion' came to mind, but not 'RELATIONSHIP'. For the remainder of the semester, I learned from Dr. Thompson as we went through the pages of the Bible and proved the obvious. I missed the obvious, but I vowed never to miss it again!

"A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:17

In a self-centered world system, the wonder of the Good News is that God communicates it relationally from Himself and through those who know Him personally. As a 'friend', and in spite of what 'dirt' He has on you, God chooses to love you anyway, and expresses His love in spite of rejection, insult and avoidance. The God of the Bible is like that.

"The son of Man came...a friend of publicans and sinners." Matthew 11:19

The challenge of friendship is that we start prioritizing relationships with others before being rightly related to Him. When you enjoy Him, you can 'tip' your wig without fear of exposing your own frailties. Without intending to, people will be drawn to you and to Him.

Oscar was right. 'RELATIONSHIP' is the most important word in the English language.

No comments: