Monday, November 3, 2008

Right Winged

It was near midnight (or so it seemed) and I was fast asleep.

I was in the 4th of 5th Grade 'back in the day'. I had labored a bit over some fractions that were due the next day for my math assignment right after dinner. That was the nightly requirement for any children with the last name 'Weber' living with Jake and Beverly. All homework was to be neatly placed on the steps that led up to the bedroom shared by my brother and I, to be reviewed by the folks. Reminds me of the statement; "You can't expect what you don't inspect." Dad and Mom were pretty consistent with the inspections for sure!

My father woke me from the Hero Dream I had of the 'World Series Home Run Trot' that I had perfected while playing wiffle ball in the backyard each afternoon, "I need to see you downstairs at the kitchen table now." Sleepy and startled, I wondered what in the world was so important that required such an abrupt interruption. I found out and woke up quickly. My Dad made sure of that.

"Bob...do you understand fractions?" The answer was obvious. I did not understand a thing about fractions. I hoped that Dad had decided not to take a hard look at my completed homework, but that was not to be the case that night. I had been done in by my pitiful attempt to complete my math assignment. I thought fractions were and excuse to love history or reading! "You can't turn this in tomorrow, Bob. Not one of your answers are right." For the next 30 minutes or longer, my Dad went through each problem with me, helping me to understand fractions and getting my homework right. The next day, my friends, my teacher and all my classmates were shocked that I scored a perfect 10 on my fraction homework. I was quite impressed as to how much my father knew about fractions as well!

'Getting it right" was always important to my folks. I learned to fold the clothes 'right', do my chores 'right', shoot a jump shot 'right', and do my homework 'right'. I later realized that something more important than doing the 'right' things mattered to my parents. Living 'right' mattered to them even more. Honesty. Integrity. Hard work. Effort. Virtue. Character. They wanted me to get these 'right' as well.

I read these words today about a national leader that impressed me:

"Hezekiah was 25 years old when he became king. He did what was right in the sight of the Lord." 2 Chronicles 29:1-2

Reading on, I came across these words about another Head of State and was even more impressed:

Josiah was eight years old when he became king. He did right in the eyes of the Lord and walked in the ways of his father David, not turning aside to the right or to the left." 2 Chronicles 34:1-2

One a kid, the other a young adult...both elevated to prominence, assigned to lead a nation of millions. Both were committed to getting more that their Algebra or Home Run Swing 'right'. They were entrusted with the lives and the futures of newborns and military generals, of teenagers and housewives, of the upper class and the lower class, of the blue collar and the white collar...an entire people group. Try to imagine that if you are twenty five years old or less, or for that matter twenty six years old or more!

Each made tough decisions that were in the best interest of those they governed while being submissive to and agreed with the agenda of the God Who installed them as ruler. These courageous leaders looked first to God to lead them before they began their Administration. They were anxious that their lives honored Him and that their decisions reflected His character and heart among His people and all the peoples of the world. They were determined to live 'right', do 'right' and to govern 'right'. They set the example of the kind and the quality of 'right' that they desired to be lived by every subject under their righteous authority. They consulted God's Word to know His heart and to lead according to righteousness. They assembled humble and godly advisers to counsel them in ways that were right and befitting to the nation looking to be led 'rightly'. Each were blessed of God and were a blessing from God to the people they led.

Election Day is tomorrow. Millions upon millions will exercise their citizenship in casting their ballot. Some will be persuaded by pledges, promises, guarantees, vision, hope and change. Others will be convinced because of their own circumstances, personal needs, issues or deep concerns. Many will opt for a candidate because they have been influenced by others, via Fox News, MSNBC, CBS, CNN, articles, websites, blogs, debates, sermons and/or conversations. In a two party political system of alternate and often opposing views, who is 'right'? What is more important, programs or people...agendas or the average Joe? Even more important, is the candidate making the pledges not just believable, but does he live 'right'? Are you voting on issues, or on character? Should that even matter?

That is why you and I have to do our homework on more than what is said, but how one has chosen to live and operate. No one...no one is perfect and without fault, but a careful examination of a lifestyle will reveal consistencies that cannot be erased by smooth speech or double talk. Where a candidate's treasure is, their heart (or policies) will be as well. What a person is is far more important than what a person does or promises to do.

That is why there is something much more central than issues that most tend to miss. Ask yourself, "Is this 'right'...and will my ballot honor a Righteous God who expects that I live 'rightly'?" Before you become either to focused on candidates or their positions, determine what is 'right' before you decide to pull the curtain that separates you from others, but not the God is not just looking over your shoulder, but examining your heart.

"Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33

"Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness; for they shall be satisfied." Matthew 5:6


Thanks Dad, for insisting that I do right and that I live right. I learned that lesson over fractions and by faith.









No comments: