Friday, January 20, 2012

Content

Contentment is a rare thing.

It's challenging not to always be on the reach for something more.

Nicholas Cage knows that first hand. Having made millions upon millions, Nick gobbled up European castles, a fleet of cars (including 9 Rolls Royces), four yachts, fifteen houses around the world, an island in the Bahamas and a Gulfstream jet. It has been reported that Cage owes the government in excess of 7 million as his homes are being sold at foreclosure auctions. His business manager warned him that he would need an annual income of $30 million just to maintain his holdings. After outbidding fellow actor, DiCaprio at a 2007 auction for a dinosaur skull at a quarter million dollar pop, Cage admitted, "I find ways of spending money that mystify everybody around me."

I like Cage as an actor. I think he's cool,(for the most part). I do wonder if my being entertained by him is more like enabling him to remain imprisoned in the Land of Discontent. I will have to remember that as I consider checking out his next flick, 'Ghost Rider'.

The Psalmist said, "I will praise the Lord at all times. His praise will continually be in my mouth." (Psalm 146:2) "At ALL times"? Really? Sometimes acquisitions seem so comforting, especially when I am wrestling with an internal emptiness or needing a release from the pressures of responsibility. I am discovering that WORSHIP is the key to contentment.

Contentment is in a Person. The Scripture calls Him 'Creator', "Redeemer', 'Sin Bearer', 'Grace Giver', 'Heavenly Father', 'Jesus Christ'. When I recognize Who God is, I have my fill. I am truly content. When I focus my attention of recalling His goodness, His grace, answered prayer, revealed truth, blessed relationships, financial provision, I realize that the God of the Bible is compassionate, kind, generous, just and loving. At that moment, I respond. I worship Him. At that moment, I am content beyond words, experiences or assets.

I want to invite you to dedicate these next 10 Days of Personal Growth to planning to worship the God Who loves you and provides for you. Read the Scripture references and enjoy a moment of His praise consuming you each day. Follow this link and plan to worship, grow and experience there joy of lasting contentment: http://www.camdenbc.com

No comments: