Wednesday, January 25, 2012

World Peace

Ron Artest of the LA Lakers has, legally changed his name according to a recent Sports Illustrated editorial.

He is now "World Peace".

Good luck to the Play by Play guy who has to colorfully describe WP when he drives the lane for a dunk! "A Monster Dunk by World Peace!". Could be interesting, actually.

Artest wanted to change his brawler type image which has been his notorious basketball and life MO. What better way than to recast your reputation than to change your name, right? You really have to think about your next move when you are balling up your fist with the name "World Peace" on the back of your jersey.

What changes a person permanently for the good? I get Artest's motive. I sure have wanted to make some very necessary attitudinal and behavioral adjustments through the years. Keeping the same name and experiencing positive life change may be an even more powerful attention grabber. "Aren't you the guy who beat up a fan with his shoe in Detroit?". "Yeah, that WAS me. That's the person I USED to be.". That would have worked for me...but that's just my preference.

Sustaining a good guy image is too much for anyone. We all blow it sooner or later even when our will drives us to wanting to do the right thing. That's a job that is way too big for me. I need intervention. I need God. "If any man be in Christ he is a new creation. The old has passed away, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17). Being a Christian is not being perfect. It is being perfected. That takes time, patience and inner life intervention. When God does that work, I experience real contentment and my actions are not forced, but supernaturally natural. I also give thanks to God for accomplishing what my will never could.

That is called 'Worship'.

I encourage you to let the God of the Bible transform you from the inside out. Believe me, your world will be full of peace then.

Follow this link and get in on God and grow in your personal worship: http://www.camdenbc.com

No comments: