Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fractions Frustrate

Math and me don't mix. Especially fractions, formulas and equations.

Back in the day (WAY back), my parents required all homework assignments be put on the stairs that led up to the bedroom that my brother and I shared in the 'loft'. It was the academic accountability system of the household. Dad interrupted my snoozing one night after having reviewed my math homework on fractions. My father was pretty sharp at the math thing and it became painfully obvious that I was not a young Einstein after glancing over my first ever assignment on fractions.

For the next hour or hours, Dad reviewed EVERY problem with me, patiently teaching me how to understand and figure out fractions. Not easy when you work plenty of overtime and have two other children to give attention to. The more Dad explained to me, the more I understood. The next day as my class graded our fraction homework, it was obvious who was the new class genius. When Dad came home that night from work, I told him that he got an 'A'! It was well deserved.

The more that I read my Bible, the more I am stunned at the patience of God. He lovingly waits for me to understand His heart and His ways. The Scripture says that His thoughts are not my thoughts, and His ways are not my ways. He is not talking smack on me, He is just telling me the truth and inviting me to catch on. He knows that will take time, and He patiently keeps teaching, encouraging and opening the eyes of my spiritual understanding.

"The Lord does not delay His promise, as some understand delay, but is patient with you, not wanting any to perish but all to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)

What an 'Ah hah' moment when we realize the incredible patience of the God of the Bible when it is applied to us. Patience is a character asset that He grows in those who walk in His ways. You can read God's character quality list in Galatians 5:22-23 and see patience listed on the depth chart at number four. When His patience is growing in you, you...

Listen more and talk less,
Do not trade insult for insult,
Wait rather than impetuously act,
Extend grace when offended,
Look for a future opportunity to bless.

At www.camdenbc.com you can take advantage of a 40 Day Personal Growth Plan that is designed to encourage your spiritual progress with the Heavenly Father. When we set a growth plan in motion, you cannot help but make serious spiritual advances.

Dad patiently taught me quite a few things through those kid years. How to swing a golf club, take a jump shot, catch a curve ball, detail the car, clean the pool filter and solve fractions are just a few. I have a sense that he was pleased when I finally 'got it'.

God's patience turns to pleasure in those whose spiritual lights finally ignite after His tireless, multiplied overtures. His patience reveals the depth of His love toward you. Consider that the next time you are impatient with Him.

No comments: