Thursday, February 14, 2008

An 'Ah Ha' Moment

My own MP3 player!

I got one! It was 'mine'! I could load all the songs that I could ever want on that puppy, plug in my headset and get to cutting the grass! This was a PERFECT birthday gift (or was it Father's Day?) from the family. I could hardly wait to step into the 21st century...

...but I had a problem...

...I had no clue how to use it. None.

I did not know how to power it up. I had no clue where the volume control was or where the headset plugged into the jack. I didn't have the foggiest how to 'download' any tunes. My 'no tech, low tech' inadequacies were fully exposed. I felt like I needed a 'Forrest Gump' moment, "Run Forrest! Run!" I so so embarrassed at my total inability to make sense of that small rectangle that I wanted to run far away and hide, (like to a Best Buy MP3 Seminar).

Then, kindness was lavished all over this MP3 idiot. My young adult kids patiently showed me how to make my new toy function. As they schooled me, it was like a light turned on inside my head. I realized that I did not have to run. In just moments, my embarrassment turned into a 'Ah Ha' moment. I got it. I understood. I was no longer intimidated by that techno gadget. Charlette, (my lady for 30 years) showed me how to get my favorite tunes into my MP3. I was ready to take on the lawn as I was fully equipped by Sanyo and Honda! All it took was an 'Ah Ha' moment.

"Then the man said, 'Lord, I believe,' and he worshiped Him, (Jesus)." John 9:38

Jesus made it a habit of making blind eyes see. In this instance, an adult man, completely blind since birth, is touched by Jesus, and through a follow up act of obedience, is made to see. Some argued that his own prenatal sin was the cause of his blindness, (see John 9:1-2), a proposition that Jesus rejected entirely. When he could see, he became Exhibit A for those who preferred to prosecute Jesus for His audacity to heal on the Sabbath, rather than to celebrate with the 20/20 Man and to thank God for His obvious merciful movement in their midst.

For this man, there was a greater redemptive act in store to be offered by the Son of Man. When Jesus found this rejected man who had been banished from the high minded and cold hearted assembly of the 'religious' (his crime was that he knew he had been the object of God's grace while others debated the obvious) He asked;

"Do you believe in the Son of Man?" (John 5:35)

This was the 'Ah Ha' moment for the once physically blinded beggar. Looking into the eyes of Jesus, his spiritual eyes were now opened to recognize not only his Healer, but his Deliverer. In that moment of stark realization, he gave Jesus more than his gratitude, he gave him his faith; "Lord, I believe." Those three words of response are loaded with meaning and application for all who will take note and pay special attention here in the 21st technical century of electronic sophistication. In fact, the Son of Man continues to perform spiritual lasiks surgery, revealing His awesome light to those groping in daily spiritual darkness.

He too, patiently waits for you and I to get to the 'Ah Ha' moment. He has kindly provided for multiple physical and material needs apart from our full realization of His generosity and mercy. In doing so He is making known a love far greater than even material kindness can fully express.

"Who is he, sir? Tell me so that I may believe in him." (John 9:36).

"You have now seen Him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you." (John 9:37)

I bet you are 'getting it' now! Knowing Christ as Lord initially is a huge 'Ah Ha!'. You will find that 'Ah Ha' moments just multiply from that point on!

No comments: