Thursday, February 28, 2008

Word Nerd

"I guess I am a word nerd."

That is how David Cook, American Idol contestant from Blue Springs describes himself. This guys just loves words, (and music too, obviously). He is into crossword puzzles, word find games, definitions and Scrabble. I have a hunch that his favorite subject in school was Vocabulary! He probably can't wait for the next issue of Reader's Digest to hit the mailbox so that he can get to the 'Enrich Your Word Power' section!

"Words--so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."
Author Unknown (to me)

Think for a moment of the power of words. Teachers use words to instruct. Coaches use words to motivate. Politicians use words to convince. Nurses use words to comfort. Writers use words to tell stories. Students use words to text answers to each other during exams! Without words, there is no conversation, communication, friendship or country music love songs. Without words, Hallmark would be a picture gallery, and the Hollywood Writers Guild could have stayed on 'Strike' forever!

Now, think of the power of words that are spoken to you. How have the words of your parents impacted you? Affirmations and insults both have a long shelf life don't they? Ever been talked about? Insulted? Misrepresented? Misquoted? Have you ever been complimented, praised or congratulated? You bask in those words, don't you? There is nothing more spirit building or spirit disabling than the power of words combined.

"We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check." James 3:2

"The tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body...set on fire by hell." James 3:5-6

"All kinds of animals have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue."
James 3:7-8

God has a way of cutting to the chase when it comes to the impact that our words can have on those who are within earshot. Fires completely devastate. Fires raze to the ground all life within its scorching heat. Fires suffocate breath as a prerequisite to death. Words can set us and others ablaze as well! Here's some good advice; don't go shooting your mouth off! Be careful how you choose your words. Pack your words full of grace, 'seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (Colossians 4:6). I heard this axiom many years ago that has stuck with me and transformed my conversation and word choices (for the most part); "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care."

For a 'Communicator', those words went deep into my heart. I realized that I used words to insult, far too often. I had to admit that I cared more about being right than being related 'right' to those closest and dearest to me. Words became a weapon, not a wellspring of refreshment to those on the other end of me 'shooting off my mouth'...family and congregations alike. It's easy and habit forming to misuse words. As a Christian, I became further convinced that my conversations did not always reflect God's heart and attitude to my wife, children and friends, much less those I became pastor to. I asked God to put the 'fire' out. Have you ever kept your opinion to yourself because you yielded your words to God for editing and approval before release? That will change your word choice for sure!



"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." Proverbs 25:11

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

It is no wonder that Jesus was the 'Word made flesh'. I understand the heart of Peter who said, 'Lord, where will we go to? Only You have the words of life." How is that a gruff, blue collar fisherman became such a soul stirring orator? His words changed because his heart was transformed by a better 'Word'.

Could it be that he became a 'Word Nerd' of a different kind?

Before you speak a word today...pray and think first. Set no fires. Do no damage. Speak no lies. Tell no stories. Let His Spirit speak His words through you, in every context of your day today.

You are about to bless some people today...you 'Word Nerd', you!

No comments: