Thursday, February 14, 2008

Voicemails and Inboxes

"You have four NEW messages. First new message from..."

I like voicemails. When a call is missed, just dial up your voicemail and retrieve the message left just for you. Some of the advantages of voicemail are;

1. Listening to a familiar voice that encourages and comforts at just the right time.
2. Being informed of a responsibility, assignment or task.
3. Having an immediate sense of connection with a loved one or friend.
4. Utilizing the 'Repeat' or 'Delete' options.
5. Returning the call...only to leave a voicemail!

When your Inbox is slugged with new email, you have the immediate satisfaction of making contact, exchanging responses, staying current...and using the 'Save' or 'Delete' options.

Some folk are annoyed with the technology of communication...to them, it is impersonal and cold. All I know is that when Charlette calls or emails me, I look forward to hearing her voice through my bluetooth, or reading her message on screen. Sure, I would prefer to look into those hazel eyes, but if that just can't happen, I value the electronic communion until she walks into the room and has me at 'Hello'.

Mark Auckerburg and Tom Anderson, the founders of Facebook and MySpace have understood the cultural need for connecting and socializing by providing the means to converse electronically. 'Personal' conversations now have a 21st century 'face' to say the least through the powerful and expanding reach of the internet. Just a couple of weeks ago I was introduced to 'Skyping'. We talked to our son and daughter on-line...able to see one another while enjoying conversation. I hung on every word and loved every moment of seeing their expressions as we talked.

Words are powerful. Delivered via the Inbox, Voicemail, Facebook or 'Skyping', they are powerful and can reach deep into our hearts and spirits.

"He who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from Him I tell the world."
John 8:26

Jesus' WORDS were spoken directly to an audience that heard them and did not like the message. The message being offered was that He came with the mission of removing sin and the sorrow that it caused. This was a heavenly message. This was an eternal message of present joy and lasting hope. You would think that such an offer to new and lasting life would be gladly accepted...after all, who would opt to 'die in their sins' (John 8:24)? Who would refuse such an offer from the One sent by the Father?

After the rejected invitation stirred a commotion, Jesus made this sobering comment; "You are ready to kill me because you have no room for my word." (John 8:37)

That is sad. We make room for so much else and yet go into disconnect when the Heavenly Father appeals to us through His Son...and His Word. Here is the upside; "If you hold to my teaching (word) you are really my disciples" (John 8:31).

God still speaks. No internet connection needed. No wireless device required. His Word is a good word. 'Make room' for every letter. Whatever you do, don't hit the 'Delete' option. Use the 'Save Now' feature, instead. There is no better response than to be 'saved now'!

No comments: