Monday, February 1, 2010

Calorie Count

I believe that there is ONE thing that can bring a smile to a stoic face, and can enliven the most despondent spirit and put the gleam back in the dreamless eye...a Snickers candy bar!

That 2.1 ounce piece of chocolate thunder, peanut clustered joy packs a walloping 280 calories loaded with 37 carbs of which 27 of are sugar! Yeah! You are smiling right now just thinking about it, eh? So am I!

Isn't that what most of us do? When we are yearning for soul satisfaction, we settle for a Snickers candy bar instead...or a bag of microwave popcorn, or an escape into a movie theater, or maybe a six pack of Bud Light with the boys. When we realize that our desires exceed our grasp, when our longings are not satisfied with high octane performance and when relationships don't deliver on our expectations, we lower the bar and quench the appetites that we can satisfy. In other words, we settle for something less...much, much less.

"He has filled the hungry with good things." Luke 1:53

I have just begun a new adventure with God. I have known that only an intake of Him really satisfies, but this time I am taking aim on my 'appetites' with a more intense intention. I am taking the next 21 days to regulate my calorie count so that I can increase my inner man sensitivities toward knowing God more personally and His will more accurately. Want to join me? Check out www.clearpointchurch.com and look for the Awakening 21 icon for more info.

Did you know that the 'Snickers' candy bar was named after a horse? Maybe that is because after having enough of them, I am resembling one.

No comments: