Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Following

Have you ever moved 'with the flow'?

Happens to me all the time at ballgames.  I park the car at the "K" or Arrowhead, and after taking a look at the crowd, I become a tributary into the stream of humanity making way to Gate B.  I try to act like I am my own man, that I can make my own decisions and that I am not under the compulsion of any outsider influence, but the fact is...well...I 'go with the flow'.  I just stay in step with the pack of Royal Blue or Red and Gold and I am in like Flynn!

Matthew was not that kind of guy.  As a matter of fact, the Bible states that at the invitation of Jesus, he pulled up stakes, closed shop and without a hint of hesitation, joined in step with the Son of God;

"'Follow me.'  And Matthew got up, and followed him."  Matthew 9:9

Do you find that just a tad odd?  What did Matthew know that so convinced him that making money, enjoying success, wielding power and partying with the notables was so second rate?  What so impressed him about Jesus that he abandoned his blue chip accounting and collection firm to cast his life lot with Christ?  I wonder if I were Matthew at that exact moment if I would have been so bold.

What does it mean to 'follow' Jesus?  What would happen if you and I abandoned everything, (and I mean everything) to accept the invitation to the kind of life that only knowing Jesus personally provides?  As I study the Bible, I am convinced that 'following' Jesus is the only way to really live.  Sometimes His routing includes me in watching what only He can do in the lives of people I know and some I have never met.  At other times, as I follow, I behold such truth, experience such grace, participating in what really matters most...that I notice how He is transforming me, up close and personal.

I am learning to be a real 'disciple'.  I have followed a distance for some time, but in these days, I am noticing that He is closer than 'usual'.  I am trying not to lag too far behind. 

Want to follow along? 

No comments: